Avoiding Chemical Dangers During a Home Renovation

If someone is looking to update his or her home, the best way to do it is through a home renovation.  Almost all homes can look better with a home renovation.  Older homes can be modernized if people take the time to renovate them.  Renovating a home does not come without many expenses.  These expenses are not limited to monetary expenses, but these expenses include dedication to the project, hard work, and the planning for the project.  Furthermore, the renovation also comes with health hazards because a person can be exposed to many dangerous chemicals during the process.  The following are some chemicals that one can be exposed to and ways to reduce the risk of getting ill if exposed to these chemicals.

A lot of people would not consider dust to be a dangerous chemical, but during a home renovation, it becomes dangerous.  Dust can cause many respiratory problems because the dust can become trapped in someone’s lungs.  If dust becomes trapped in a person’s lungs, the person can have an asthma attack.  In order to prevent illness from dust, a person should have proper ventilation during the renovation and wear masks and goggles.

Mold can cause permanent damage to a person’s home, but it can also cause serious health problems to that person.  Research has shown that mold can cause someone to have serious health problems, which includes neurological damage because of the exposure.  If mold is present, the best way to avoid becoming ill is to contact a professional to remove the mold.  The professional can remove the mold, and he or she can also determine if the mold has caused any structural damage to the home.

Although dust and mold may cause problems, asbestos is the most dangerous chemical someone may be exposed to during a home renovation.  Asbestos was used quite often during the last century because it provided unique insulation abilities.  However, asbestos exposure can lead to many health problems.  One of these health problems is mesothelioma, which is a cancer known to be caused by asbestos exposure. In order to avoid becoming ill from asbestos exposure, a person should have the home inspected by a professional prior to the renovation.  Therefore, the renovator will know if he or she needs to do additional work to remove asbestos before the renovation begins.

- by Brian Tuner